Museum of the Shenandoah Valley



The mission of the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley is to preserve and enrich the cultural life and heritage of the Valley.

Hours:
The Museum Galleries and Museum Store are open year-round; the House and Gardens are open seasonally from April through October.

Closed Mondays

Tuesday­­­­­–Sunday

10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

In addition to the standard Monday closings, the MSV will also be closed on the following holidays:

Thanksgiving Day

Christmas Eve

Christmas Day

New Year’s Day

Museum Café

Closed

Admission

Admission to the MSV includes access to the Galleries, House, and Gardens. MSV Members and children 12 and under are admitted free. Some events may have additional fees, please check our events calendar for details.

Adult: $10

Seniors: $8

Youth (13–18): $8

Youth (12 & under): Free

MSV Members: Free

The MSV is once again participating in the Blue Star Museums Initiative! Blue Star Museums is a collaboration among the National Endowment for the Arts, Blue Star Families, the Department of Defense, and more than 2,000 museums across America. The program offers FREE admission to the nation’s service members, including National Guard and Reserve, and their families from Memorial Day through Labor Day.

FREE Wednesdays

Thanks to a generous gift from Howard Shockey & Sons, Inc, the MSV offers free admission for individual visitors every Wednesday. Group rates do apply for groups of 10 or more. Please call 540-662-1473, ext. 214, for more information.

Group Rates

Adult groups of 10 or more receive the rate of $8 per person. Reservations are required for all group tours. Call 540-662-1473, ext. 214, or email tours@theMSV.org. (To receive the group discount, one payment is required. Individuals in a group may not pay separately.)

Discounted rates and special tours are available to student groups of 10 or more. Prices vary. Call 540-662-1473, ext. 224 or email dhilty@theMSV.org for details. Reservations are required for student group tours.

Inclement Weather

Visit us on Facebook or Twitter for up to date information about cancellations or delays.

Parking

Museum visitors may park for free in one of the two designated lots at the complex.

Member of Trail Networks:

Virginia Oyster Trail Site Number: 145875

The Museum of the Shenandoah Valley (MSV) is dedicated to preserving and enriching the cultural life and heritage of the Valley. The Museum sits on land originally claimed by Winchester founder James Wood in 1735. The property was passed through generations of Wood and Glass families until being acquired by Wood descendant Julian Wood Glass Jr. between 1952 and 1955. Aided by a family fortune made in Oklahoma’s oil industry, Glass and his partner at the time, R. Lee Taylor, worked together to transform the site and its Glen Burnie House—built in 1794 by James Wood’s son Robert—into a country retreat. Taylor moved to the site in 1958 and while Glass visited his ancestral home, he was never a full-time resident at Glen Burnie. They furnished the home with objects Glass inherited along with eighteenth-and-nineteenth-century furniture and fine art that Glass purchased for the home. Throughout the latter half of the twentieth century they surrounded the house with six acres of elaborate gardens. By 1960, Glen Burnie had become a showplace where the couple entertained in high style. Even after their romantic relationship ended in the 1970s, the two maintained a working relationship where Taylor continued to live and manage the estate while Glass divided his time between traveling, Glen Burnie, and his residences in Oklahoma, Texas, and New York City. The two men remained gracious hosts together until Glass’s death in 1992. Taylor lived at Glen Burnie until his death in 2000.

After Julian Wood Glass’s death and as a condition of his will, the house and gardens were opened to the public on a seasonal basis in 1997. In 2005 the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley was added as an anchor to the site to both fulfill Glass’s vision of sharing his significant collection with the public, and to expand upon that vision to include a space where the art, history, and culture of the Valley could be interpreted. The 50,000-square-foot Musuem of the Shenandoah Valley was designed by renowned architect Michael Graves. At 214 acres, the Museum’s landscape is the largest green space in the City of Winchester and the Glen Burnie House and its surrounding six-acre gardens remain an important part of this year-round regional history complex now known as the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley.

Learn more about the House
Learn more about the Gardens



Contact:

Autumn Gray

Phone:
540-662-1473

Email:
visit@themsv.org

Website:
http://www.themsv.org/

Address:
901 Amherst ST
Winchester, VA 22601


Sponsors

Virginia is for Lovers
Virginia Commission for The Arts
Take Home A Piece of Virginia

© 2014-2017 Artisans Center of Virginia. All rights reserved. Website maintained by CharlottesvilleMedia.com